Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Simple steps to de-cluttering your home


Simple steps to de-cluttering your home

  1. OBJECTIVE - Clarify your objective
-     Getting ready to move
-     Converting the storage space for a new purpose (ie. guest room, baby room, office)
-     More peaceful space; reduce the stress – “Mess = stress”
-     Downsizing
-     Improve efficiency in your space
-     Start fresh in a new space (post-renovation, new home or office)
-     Want to live life differently, improved quality of life
-     Freedom from feeling burdened by your stuff
-     Find my things when I need them

  1. PURGE - Remove items from their context then critically review each item asking yourself:
-     Do I love it?
-     Do I use it?
-     Does it fit?
-     Do I have space to keep it?
-     Is it broken?
-     Did I even know I had it?
-     Do I have an immediate use for it?
-     Am I keeping it out of guilt or obligation? Is it a gift from someone that I’ve never even used?
-     Do I have duplicates of this item?
-     Is it important to me?
-     Has it expired? (ie. food, medication, safety equipment)
-     Is it valuable?
-     Is it a treasure?
-     Does this item have a real function that cannot be performed any other way? 
-     Would I buy this item at this moment if I didn’t already own it?
-     Do you know what it is?
-     If I didn’t have this item, what would I do? 
-     Can I live without it?

  1. SORT into categories
-            Keep
-            Maybe
-            Donate
-            Sell
-            Gift to someone I know
-            Return item to the person who lent it to me or to the store where I bought it
-            Garbage – garbage/recycling/paper/etc
-            Action items – create a task list
o          To be fixed
o          To be painted, repurposed
o          Order a new part

  1. ACTION all of the above
    1. Keep
-     Sort into like categories (all table linens together, all electronics items together).
-     revisit your decisions once you see all ‘like’ items together. Perhaps you have unnecessary multiples of items.
-    Containerize and label (where appropriate)
-    Move immediately to it’s final resting place
    1. Maybe – Once all of your keep items have been moved into place, revisit your decisions in the ‘maybe’ pile.
                                               i.     Do you have space to keep these items after-all?
                                             ii.     Put maybe items into a box, mark the date and put it away.  Whatever stays in the box after 6months or 1 year probably won’t be missed
    1. Donate - Drop off donate items
    2. Sell - Post sale items online
    3. Gift/Return
-                Schedule time with friends/family to give/return items to them
-                Return the item to the store for refund
    1. Garbage
-                Remove garbage/recycling (onsite disposal / dump)
-                take items for proper disposal (metal, batteries, recycling)
    1. Action – take the actions on the task list (ie. order replacement part, fix the broken items, paint the old dresser, etc)
Written by Heather Fulcher - Professional Organizer for Hire - Vancouver, Canada - 604-618-4829 heatherfulcher@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment